Bio / Contact
Levi C. Maaia = “Leave-eye Sea My-uh”
A digital technology tinkerer focused on equitable solutions for a just society.
Levi C. Maaia is president of Full Channel Labs and a Ph.D. candidate and research fellow at the Center for Education Research on Literacies, Learning & Inquiry in Networking Communities (L2INC) at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
His research focuses on digital literacies in teaching and learning and ways in which technology-enabled learning programs can be adapted across a variety of applications. As a teacher and the curriculum developer of the digital media and STEAM Lab courses at Anacapa School, he also worked directly with middle school and high school students while researching innovations in digital media and STEM education.
In 2004, Levi joined Full Channel, a family-owned broadband provider in Bristol County, R.I. Under his leadership, Full Channel successfully turned around a declining subscriber base while making its first forays into digital and high-definition television, IP telephony and renewable energy solutions. In 2008, he developed and launched Full Channel’s renewable wind energy initiative GreenLink through a partnership forged with sustainable energy provider People’s Power & Light. As a result, cable industry trade publication CableFAX honored Full Channel with its 2009 Top Ops Community Service Award. In 2012, Levi formed Full Channel Labs, an online innovation and technology partner, which develops and supports advances in networking and digital media.
Prior to Levi’s work at Full Channel, he founded ComCreations, an interactive design and development company, in 1996. In 1999, he and two other Boston University students brought some of the first independent film and video to the World Wide Web with Green Line TV, an early video-streaming community. Today, ComCreations continues to provide branding, communications and media services to a variety of clients in the public and private sectors.
Levi is a graduate of Boston University, where he received a bachelor’s degree in film and television. He received a master’s degree in journalism from Emerson College and a master’s degree in education from the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Levi enjoys sailing, aviation, amateur radio, photography and tinkering with his 1966 Mustang.
Media & Publications:
- Providence Business News – Workforce shifting with speed, variety of services January 9, 2016
- QST – Journal of the ARRL: QSL from Cuba September 12, 2015
- UCSB GradPost: Graduate student in the spotlight July 29, 2015
- Noozhawk – Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club to Host Presentation on Communications in Cuba June 13, 2015
- MuniNetworks.org – The Other Half of Network Neutrality – Content Neutrality March 20, 2015
- Providence Business News – Full Channel Labs says it supports net neutrality after FCC vote March 4, 2015
- Providence Business News – TV access meets mobile demand January 12, 2015
- S.B. Lawyer Magazine – Cover photo September 1, 2014
- Edhat – Drones over Shoreline June 21, 2014
- Edhat: People-to-People Cuba travel April 26, 2014
- Viodi – Green cable April 23, 2014
- Full Channel: Making technology more neighborly January 10, 2014
- Viodi – Full STEAM ahead to the next frontier August 19, 2013
- KEYT NewsChannel 3 – Anacapa School students talk with astronaut May 25, 2013
- ARRL – 2013 QST Video Contest First Place Award April 8, 2013
- KEYT 3 News – NASA Astronaut Linnehan in Santa Barbara February 1, 2013
- Daily Nexus – NASA Astronaut Linnehan discusses multiple stays in outer space at SB talk January 30, 2013
- Amateur Radio Newsline – Anacapa Space Synthesis Unit January 11, 2013
- WPRO – The Gene Valicenti Show: Would you watch Al Jazeera? January 5, 2013
- Noozhawk – Anacapa School to host live Q&A with International Space Station October 4, 2012
- Ham Nation #55 – Anacapa Near Space Exploration Club July 11, 2012
- Providence Business News – Five questions with Levi C. Maaia July 4, 2012
- Noozhawk – Anacapa School teacher speaks at ‘Freedom to Connect’ conference May 24, 2012
- Freedom to Connect – Big enough to succeed: Small carriers at the leading edge May 23, 2012
- Amateur Radio Newsline – AAHAB-2 May 11, 2012
- KEYT 3 News – Anacapa’s near space ballon May 10, 2012
- Viodi – Looking to the new generation for answers September 14, 2011
- Santa Barbara Independent – Anacapa School skirts the stratosphere May 25, 2011
- KCLU/NPR – Anacapa’s space mission May 19, 2011
- Prov. Business News – Univision charge hike the reason Full Channel not carrying station February 28, 2011
- Boston Globe – Internet rules give big business control December 28, 2010
- Santa Barbara Independent – Morning radio, but interesting June 1, 2010
- Providence Business News – R.I. firms mull new net neutrality rules October 7, 2009
- Providence Business News – Five questions with: Levi C. Maaia August 19, 2009
- CableFAX – Full Channel wins 2009 CableFAX Top Ops Award July 13, 2009
- WPRI – CleanScape’s newest “Green Champion” businesses! October 17, 2008